Sunday, October 26, 2014

There were these two Norwegians....(not really)

If there's one thing I regret it's that my command of Russian is so wobbly. Simply not enough hours in the day to do much about that now, I'm afraid, and at least Google Translate makes life a lot easier. But it does make me prone to embarrassing linguistic blunders when it comes to Russian.
Having grown up in Northwestern Europe, I know the country of Norway as Norge (or Noreg, confusingly), and instead of Norwegian I'm inclined to think of Norsk as the adjective. So when I spotted the word Norskaya in Russian I fell victim to a classic faux ami: a word that looks familiar but means something completely different. In Russian, of course, the word for Norwegian is Норвежский...
And so to my two (non-)Norwegians. The first to come my way was Norskii Sklad in Eastern Siberia:
How odd: a Norwegian Warehouse in the Amur province! Must be one of those odd "colonies" you find dotted all over the Russian Empire. Well, no.... The PTO there was opened in 1916. Norskii Sklad is now simply known as Norsk and it's not exactly a Metropolis.
Then came Norskaya Manufaktura:
Of course, Norskaya Manufaktura (PTO opened in 1891) has nothing to do with Norwegians. It was founded in 1859 by the Khludov brothers as a factory of linen products in Norsk settlement, which later became part of the city of Yaroslavl'. The factory was renamed Krasnyi Pereval (Red Pass) in 1922 and survived all the way to 2011 when it finally went bankrupt. The building still exists and is now leased to smaller establishments, one of which has adopted the Norskaya Manufaktura name, I'm pleased to say.
Incidentally, the reverse of that cover is pretty too:
So no Norwegians. How embarrassing!

No comments:

Post a Comment