Sunday, October 2, 2011

Some thoughts about the Schlegel "Russia" sale

Schlegel is an auction house in Berlin that recently had a wonderful Russia sale: all postal history, from all periods.
There was some wonderful stuff in there, and I'm very pleased I got the one lot I bid on. Other lots were nice but overpriced. For example, there were half a dozen Imperial international money orders from Karasubazar, Crimea. Very unusual, but at 65 Euros a pop they'd have been around $125 each by the time they'd reached me and that was just too much. They didn't sell.
TPO collectors had a lot of fun with this sale too, a s the TPO marks were split over many smaller lots. That enabled the informed buyers to cherry-pick, and as a result the less attractive lots remained unsold.
In general, the bidders were obviously an informed lot. Azerbaijan had lots of average covers, many of which remained unsold, but for the good items there was spirited bidding, so bidders obviously knew what to look for.

In all, I think about two-thirds of the lots remained unsold. I hope this result won't discourage further sales like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment